Thursday, November 14, 2013

Wave 3 (did you even try)

   During the news study, I followed WAVE 3, and the news on that station was actually a lot worse than I expected. My mom has always watched this station for news, and so when I started watching it I expected it to be a good station in general. But, unfortunately, I came to the conclusion that it is most definitely not. There was an average of 8 stories per show. Eight. And you'd think that because there were only eight that they would do more in-depth and newsworthy stories, but they weren't really. A lot of their time was taken up with sports and weather, and there were always a ton of commercials too. Every other news source (besides WHAS) had more stories than us per show/issue for the Courier.
   Before doing this project I had no idea that local TV news was as bad as it is. I knew Mr. Miller talked about it, but I hadn't really taken any time to actually think about the news I saw every morning before school. On average, about 40% of the show was crime, which is clearly violating the principle of inclusiveness.
   Why do they think crime is so much more important than other things happening in the world? We may never know.
   Besides not including other varieties of stories besides crime, they also did not do nearly enough reporting on the national and international scale. There were four national stories in the entire ten weeks we followed it, and there were no international. I do realize that this is a local news station, but I believe that national and international news should have a place there too. I don't know about others, but I want to know what is happening in my country and in the world.
   If they couldn't find any newsworthy local stories, why not report on something thats happening nationally? I'm sure most people would rather hear about our government than David Camm again...and again...and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment